Sunday, July 01, 2007

Stacking Stones (AKA sticks and stones may break my bones)

Therapy, it's something that everyone needs in varying degrees. My car got smashed, I can't seem to get a decent date (probably because of the car), and frankly, I'm a little lost in life. I need me a lot of therapy.

It seems like every Saturday I play hard, really hard. I wake up mid-morning Sunday with a mild headache and sore muscles. That's okay, because that means that Saturday's therapy worked. Saturday therapy usually consists of:

Climbing
016

Canyoneering
<span class=

Biking
<span class=

Hiking
Logan Crew

And other notably draining activities.

Honestly, I don't have a ton of energy left for Sunday, but I have to take advantage of it as best I can. Those who think poorly of what I do on Saturdays can just quit reading now. I'm going to show you what I do on Sundays. Yes, I stand in the icy-cold water that flows out of Utah's beautiful canyons and I pile rocks on top of one another. It actually takes me quite a while and the tall stacks are very difficult. I like to use really big rocks.

Single stacks of rocks could get a little boring, so it's important to mix it up sometimes. Little Cottonwood Canyon is my favorite place to do this since I can usually find some solitude, but I've built them in Big Cottonwood Canyon, American Fork Canyon, and a couple other places. Besides balancing the rocks, I would say that standing in flowing water for an hour at a time is the most difficult part. I don't suppose that any of this is going to get me a scholarship, a job, or even a pat on the back, but I sure feel good when I get done and look with a smile on my green vandalism/artistic therapy.

4 comments:

Emily G said...

Price, you gots to get out of Outback quick. Or else go to Outback for a few weeks and then switch over with me to Anasazi come August 22. I'll tell you the reasons why:

a) I just came from Outback, I know what I'm saying. It's a fine enough place, but the terrain is ridiculous. And they don't really use rock cairns of which you obviously hold some talent (Anasazi would jump all over your ability to stack rocks)

b) Outback will be very cold (I know people who have lost all feeling in their fingertips from Outback winters. As in, they STILL can't feel their fingertips). And all your water is dropped. Which isn't half as exciting as filling canteens with whatever water you come across in the desert. And Outback doesn't approve of eating natural edibles whereas at Anasazi, it is requisite.

c) When you get off the trail at Anasazi, everybody drives to some horrible small town like Safford and buys all the peaches and Ben & Jerry's offered at Wal-Mart before stopping over for large Horchatas and burritos at Filiberto's 24-hour Mexican drive-thru. At Outback, everyone meets at Trolley Square to get wasted.

d) At Anasazi, you get a trail name. You feel much more like Huckleberry Finn at Anasazi than you ever could at Outback. And at Anasazi, you just treat the children better. Trust me on this.

e) I will not be at Outback. And making fire out of sage sucks compared to gathering your own yucca down south. Sometimes you can just look at yucca the wrong way and it will burst into flames.

Sorry for the mega-comment on your post, but I feel quite strongly about this topic. Outback is better than most wilderness therapy camps, but just the terrain, Price....think of the TERRAIN. Write me an email and I'll beef you up with even stronger persuasive details. Plus, they give you machetes at Anasazi.

Oceanchild said...

I think your form of therapy is amazing and so are your rock stacks!

Grifter said...

Gillz! (BT)

No slander of Safford here or anywhere. (my old high desert home)..

k thx bye lol omg wtf

jg

Anne said...

I love your rock stacks, they're really quite beautiful.