Thursday, July 19, 2007

An Odd Odyssey


I'm almost ready. I want t o embark on my travels soon. Today I picked up two East-Coast, "Baaastan"-accented fellows who had hitchhiked from Connecticut to Salt Lake City and were on their way to Craters of the Moon. They had long scragly beards and looked like a couple of gnomes or maybe vikings. I hope that my friends will guide me to better places than a huge lava flow in the middle of nowhere, Idaho, but I'm so inspired and oddly jealous of these people. I know I'm going to go, it's just a matter of when. At present, my plan is to have as little plan as possible. I'm going to go to Montana next weekend for sure. I think it will be a little test of my resolve. Problem is, I've never been one to dip my toes. I like to find the biggest cliff and get a run. I like to make a splash.

If you've never read Jon Krakuer's Into the Wild, you should. Now, no one freak out. I have no death wish. I'm not going to donate all of my savings to charity and go off to starve to death in a bus. His courage to go out and do what he knew would make him happy is beyond inspirational. I want to shed the expectations of society for a while. My wild will probably consist of national parks and climbing destinations, not the Alaskan tundra. Still, I'm going to go live in the wild. I'm going to go blog in the wild.

If any of my friends read this and is going somewhere interesting, please take me with you. I'll provide good entertainment, deep tissue massage and when possible a pinch of gas money. Hitchhiking is always better with friends.

5 comments:

Emily G said...

"I'm going to blog in the wild." Haha, I'm glad you are, because I'd like to live vicariously through the posts and reap ideas for my own exiles from civilization, but it is a bit ironic that your exile would include documenting it all from internet cafes.

I won't push Anasazi any more than I have, but I'm just saying....if you need a monetary pickmeup, the trailwalker gang are always going someplace sketchy and crazy on their weeks off......and we've ALL read about Chris McCandless there.

Oceanchild said...

I know you are going...but I really don't want you to.

Dainon. said...

So ... how do you blog from the wild, pray tell? The world awaits your answer.

Team O'Connor said...

I can vouch for the great deep tissue massage. This boy doesn't mess around and even knows to massage the commonly overlooked teres minor. It's worth dragging him along.

brandi (and tim) said...

I found your blog through the ganglion of the universe, Dainon. This blog gives me the impression that you're up for an adventure. I would recommend a bike trip. A few years ago I took a bike, a trailer, and a couple of months and ended up having a 4200 mile adventure across the country. It's not as intimate as hitch hiking, but you also don't have to sit on the side of the freeway for hours on end. Plenty of wild, just enough interaction with civilization.
t.