Thursday, July 05, 2007

Fire on the Mountain

Well, I hope everyone had a safe and fun Fourth of July. That goes for both of you who actually read my blog. :) I presume that on the night of the 3rd, some poor soul was lighting fireworks off near Bells Canyon, and it seems they lost a little control.

You could see the fire from Bangerter Highway all the way out on the west side. I drove home and grabbed my camera, extra low on batteries, and cruised over to the church where droves of firefighters, police, and rubberneckers had gathered.

Sans tripod, the photos mostly came out blurry. Not that I'm an expert photographer or anything, but I did get one good shot of a rust-colored moon.

The 4th was fun. I went swimming, had a barbecue, and watched fireworks. Thanks to all the people that I hung out with. It's not that I'll look back and think, "Damn, July 4, 2007 was the best Independence Day ever." No, it probably wasn't, but it was good, and it's already got me looking forward to the climax of summer next year.

4 comments:

Oceanchild said...

Those are crazy pictures. Makes me sad the mountain is already burning down.

Emily G said...

I once drove out to see a sagebrush fire in the SE Idaho desert and all the little red flames looked almost exactly like a huge city from a distance. That was really eerie. So are rusty moons. And hockey masks.

Grifter said...

i just spent 22 hours on my ass in a Ford Windstar coming home from LA--we were re-routed from the central Utah fire.

We were vanguard and took AAA-unapproved roads to emerge on I-15 in the middle of the chaos. It was like driving on the head of a recently spent match. Unbelievable.

Team O'Connor said...

Call me back! I want to set you up with my friend, Laurie. She likes rugged guys so no shaving for a few days.