Sunday, July 01, 2007

The great and grand Gregories

Tonight I'll take a minute to brag about the best friends a guy like me could have. The Gregories are it. Dependable, trustworthy thinkers, we should all be glad that these guys' ancestors and their relatives lined up two to one on the side of the Union.

Sam Gregory and I served our mission together and we were companions in the area call Las Brisas, Zona 6 de Mixco, Guatemala, Guatemala. A fine area, worthy of it's own blog, though it will never get it. Sam and I enjoyed our three and a half months together as companions, even though I stubbornly insisted on being a gung-ho knock doors 'till we bleed missionary. Sam had a lot better and broader view of what it meant to be a missionary in Guatemala, and made sure we didn't go crazy. We did however steal a dinosaur off the roof of the house next to ours. That was crazy.Hey Sam, you still wear those shorts . . . get some new shorts.

Sam and I pretty much lost contact until a few years after we'd both been home. When I got a job at Wall Machinery, I had oodles of time to google. I got in touch with a lot of people during that time that I hadn't talked to in quite some time. Sam just happened to be the best one. Summer of 2005 we ticked off more than a dozen slot canyon descents, usually accompanied by Sam's wife Masiel, Sam's Brother and his wife, Devan and Ginny, and Jason Summers rounded out the usual adventure team. Sadly, we lost Summers early in the year 2006. We'll get him back someday.


So it's Sam and Masiel, Devan and Ginny, and me. At the risk of making myself sound like a big loser, I have to say that if the Gregories weren't around, I don't know what I'd do with myself. This summer has turned into the summer of climbing, but we canyoneer, watch movies, swim, and laugh it up. Sam and Devan haven't convinced me to join them in their WOW escapades, but we pretty much do everything else together. Whether out of sympathy or love, the girls are always trying to find me dates and new girls to hang out with. All in all, I don't know if there's a finer pair of brothers and their wives to be had.

Sam is stone cold and usually lost in thought, no doubt planning his next brutal assasination. His wife Masiel is as kind as a saint, yet stunningly sexy.

Devan is high-strung and ready for anything at a moment's notice, as long as he's not tired and looking for a place to lie down for a while. His wife Ginny is a fox, but she fears lightning, submarines, and the wrath of God. She acts accordingly.

So if you meet a Gregory, trust that man with your life. I've done it many times and never regretted it yet.

No comments: