Thursday, June 28, 2007

Freedom Fires

Determination - that's what it takes to get a fire started. (maybe all of my posts will touch on fire and climbing - wait and see) I was determined to have a fire last night. I was determined to sleep in a tent in the "woods" and you know, see if a bear wanted to have it's way with me. In a strange paradox, I searched the internet for campsites close to SLC with no cover. Well, let me tell you that in Utah, everything has a cover. It doesn't matter how much you plan to spend at the bar.

Around Rexburg, ID I can think of a quick 5 places to go camp where you'll never be bothered to pay.

1. Sand Dunes
2. Beaver Dick Park
3. Spillway
4. pretty much anywhere on the Idaho side of the Tetons
5. Do they charge for camping at Green Canyon? if so, it's totally worth it.
6. Kelly Canyon/Heise area (by the caves, not in developed campgrounds)
7. My parents' back yard.

Actually, the list goes on and on. The point is, Mormons and their derivatives are Jews. Or maybe I have that backwards. I found the cheapest looking site up Big Cottonwood canyon and drove up there. Yeah, $15. In all the time that I've spent in Central America, I never once paid that much for a hotel. Ouch. The upcoming trip to Idaho is looking better and better. Why is it that I can't go out in the woods in Utah and build a fire for free?

No matter, I'll make that $15 up somehow. Have you ever built a fire in a desserted campground and just sat and read a good book until 2 in the A.M.? Well, you should. It's liberating. You forget all your worries and responsibilities. All the things you were going to blog about the next day fade from your memory. Anyway, I highly recommend Princeton Tec headlamps. They're great, and they'll get me through the Darby Canyon Ice Caves again soon.

1 comment:

Oceanchild said...

Oh Ellie loves the headlamps you gave us ( i don't know if they are the same kind!). She said last night that you better never move because if there is an emergency you have "lots of really good stuff" to get us through it.