Sunday, October 05, 2008

Making a Tick List

So,

I try to keep track of all the rock climbing I do. It satisfies me to get home from climbing and immediately get on mountainproject.com to tick off the routes I've done.

I've recently started trad climbing which is an amazing new experience. I'd say it's nearly impossible to understand the difference until you've been out there and done it. It allows you to go places that weren't "designated". Uncharted territory is cool even if it's been done before and is in all the guide books and has anchor chains at the top. There's just something about it. Comparison: Rock Band vs. playing guitar - Both quite satisfying, only one feels real.

That being said, I've also climbed in the gym a lot lately which has made me strong. Kind of like playing lots and lots of air guitar. (stole photo/Sharma dab)























Here are some of the places I've climbed over the last 6 months or so. (many pictures linked/stolen)

Grand Teton, WY:




























Wind River Range, WY:



















Near Mesquite, NV:






























Wasatch Range, UT:



















Moab, UT:





























City of Rocks, ID:

(I stole Moab and Big Cottonwood)

2 comments:

Emily G said...

Garrrrr, I had to take a two-week climbing break myself but your words and roughed-up hands inspire me to get back in there tomorrow. Huzzah.

Grifter said...

ambitious. and chilling. i am a fan of horizontal planes, and the vertical when i have the know how or the Price-how. this trad undertaking is admirable. the next step is the free solo, right? please don't.