Saturday, October 25, 2008

Comes a Time


"Oh oh, This old world keeps spinning 'round.
It's a wonder tall trees ain't laying down.
There comes a time . . ."


Summer is a season for love. Fall is a season for solitude. There's something magical that happens in the air. It makes the leaves turn color, and makes every breath bite like crisp apples. Those leaves turn color because all the world is beautiful in the fall. They aren't preparing for winter. They love the fall, just like me, so they dress it up and make themselves pretty.

Some have questioned some of my decisions in the last few months . . . particularly regarding a relationship that ended. I'm content. My mind is not focused on careers or family, no matter how society, the Church, my parents or anyone else wants it. My mind constantly wanders to 5.12, how good the cold air feels in my breast, rhythm, classical guitars, the burning soreness in my arms. I wanted my drive home two nights ago to never end. 90.9 just kept giving me new wonderful flavors of music. The air blowing in my face was like kissing the prettiest girl.

I'm happy where I am, and I think back on the relationship I had. It was as perfect a relationship as anyone could have. No drama, no stress, lots of love and fun. So why did it end? It just did. Why did God decide to make fall such an amazing time to be alive? Things like this don't require explanation. They cannot because there is none. There just comes a time . . .


Just one more thing that puts fall head and shoulders above the rest. Climbing, of course. I climbed Mexican Crack (5.10a) in LCC today. I onsighted that climb. I placed cams and nuts, and thought that I would fall, but the cool air sucked the moisture off the rock and allowed my hands to stick. I never had to test the placements of my climbing gear, and I'm happy about that.

Mexican Crack is pretty easy to spot once you know where it is. It's the only crack on this rock. It diagonals up and left, if you are still lost. :)


Jared showing me the way . . . up.

To live a simple life is all I need. :)

8 comments:

William Cobb said...

Amen brother. That last picture reminds me of Highland.

Oceanchild said...

I'm going to google Mexican Crack and see if your blog shows up...that might be a dangerous combo of words.

Wish you would have come up this weekend so bad. Landon and I miss you.

Make the choices that make you happy. You are always welcome to the futon. I know it is nice to have someone around for dinner. :)

Emily G said...

That's a good song.

Emily G said...

Driving to work this morning I realized what it was your post reminded me of. You ought to revisit Walt Whitman's "Song of Myself." It's Walt's Bohemian love affair with nature and himself. You might really dig it right now.

P said...

mexican crack is super fun...i haven't had time to read your blog but i wanted to say hello and thanks for the yellow cam. i love finger cracks, and thats a perfect size.

P said...

ps...lets climb soon. before the weather gets cold.and even then the gym is fun.

Grifter said...

prince.

you captured this. i miss the west right now, deeply. thanks for adding to that.

perfect song usage, too. always been one of my favorites.

we need to talk soon. i have some ideas for next summer (apalachian trail) that i wanted to run by you.

thax

Joshua said...

you are active swab now.

hopefully you find it worthwhile - sometimes they got some pretty good stuff.

fall always makes me a little nervous - must be the sinking feeling of examinations and bluffing way through school.