Monday, September 17, 2007

I have 99 biners

In my never ending attempts to injure myself while uninsured, I picked up my box of climbing gear and almost broke my back. Well, It was really heavy. Anyway, I tagged all my gear since it seems to be the cool-climber thing to do. Yellow is the color I chose. I somehow doubt I'm the first, but it should keep my stuff out of my friends' bags. At least now when I accuse them of stealing my gear I will have some evidence.

As I type here, the biners are all hanging above me, paint drying. There are 99 and I've been telling people that I probably have 100. Close enough, I say. If anyone who reads my blog cared in the least about climbing gear, it would probably not be wise to tell you that I also have 22 cams, 12 nuts, 3 belay devices, and enough nylon and dyneema webbing and slings to hang every traitor the catholic church ever had. That sounds rather gruesome, doesn't it? Well, I have a lot.



Summers, his wife, and I hit up Zion this weekend. I was humiliated by a crack climb, but I know very well that camming devices will hold my weight. That's a different story though. We descended Imlay canyon, and it really wasn't nearly as long/hard/dangerous as I remember. Maybe I've just gotten harder. I didn't bother with a lot of pictures. This canyon has a lot of stinky water that tends to destroy cameras and other electronics. Here are a couple shots I was lucky enough to get at the final rappel that dumps you into the narrows.




I need someone to sponsor me a new camera. That will be the next blog, but if you're thinking about it, here's a good reason:

4 comments:

Oceanchild said...

12 nuts? That's amazing.

Grifter said...

this reminds me of our daring rescue of my old camera in yellowstone: a mad flight down a talus slope to snag it from a precipice and then a rushed hustle back up...and, wow..lots of gear.

Emily G said...

Price, are you coming down here, or what? I had to rock climb in a very slight incompetent way my last week on the trail and I needed an expert to reassure me I wasn't going to die. Or, if the case be, that at least I was probably going to die in a super cool, talented, outrageous way.

Price said...

WTF, gillz? I thought you were on the trail this week. Yeah, I'll go through a week of training, but no promises after that. How much does all that crappy gear end up costing?