Monday, October 15, 2007

Change of Heart - Lack of Photos

I'll have to steal the pictures for this blog from other places on the interweb, so please forgive me. I'm not permitted to take pictures on the trail at Anasazi.

1. Friction Fire - While still difficult, certainly not impossible. I was able to create a coal and drop it into my tinder bundle shortly after I was shown correct methods and materials. Just after that I used a hand drill and got a burning coal on my first try. Wikihow has nothing on the people at Anasazi. I do have some small burns on my hands, because apparently, I was not instructed properly on how to hold my tinder bundle as I blew the coal into flames. It's rather necessary out on the trail since we don't have flashlights, lighters, matches, insect repellent, or even really warm gear. Out there, fire is life.




2. Cow tanks and sleeping on the ground - (had to straight steal this image from Gilz) Yeah, that's not the cow tank that I drank from, but it's only slightly greener. We don't filter our water, we drop it. Two drops of clorox per canteen. Well, I'm still here. Cow tanks are pretty much tiny man made lakes out in the desert. They get pretty gross. I really don't mind sleeping on the ground. It's just cold without anything between the body and the ground. Good thing for pine needles and leaves. It's also quite nice to heat up a rock in the fire and put it in the sleeping bag. Any number of sexual innuendos could be applicable here, but I'm not even going to start.

3. I'm T-pain, you know me - Imma buy U a drank, so just get used to it. One of the young walkers in my band had completely convinced himself that he was the rapper T-pain. Thing is, the other four young walkers were pretty well convinced of it as well. Actually, he was just a confused blond kid from the East Coast who wanted to buy everyone a drank. That kid has a heart of gold and he's laugh-out-loud funny. All of the young walkers have incredible potential, and they show it out there in the wilderness. Here's where my change of heart happened. I truly thought that I was going into the wild to babysit a bunch of punk kids who were too spoiled all their lives to obey their parents. I was humbled like a boxer in a gun fight. My expectations were left in ruins as I became part of a dynamic and interesting family. In true cliche style, I learned a lot more from them than they ever could have learned from me. I had decided to give Anasazi a "trial week" after which, I would return to Utah to climb rocks. Integrity would not be on my list of qualities if I were to turn and run now, so here I am. I'll be here a while, so for those of you who I should be missing, I will. Eight days on the trail and six days off make for ample visiting time, though, so plan on seeing me at regular intervals.

4. Trail food - Our supplies are plenty, but not exactly gourmet. Notable though is that these kids have learned how to make everything from muffins to lasagna in their little tin cups. I mostly stuck to simple foods-cheesy rice and lentils, corn meal, oats, and the occasional ash cake. Ash cakes are rather simple. They consist of flour, water, and whatever happens to be left in your food pack. Powdered cheese and chewed up tomatoes make a pretty good ash cake, brown sugar and chewed up almonds make a better one. You then clear the fire away so you have a nice bed of hot white ashes and toss it in. I suppose the ash probably helps digestion if anything. Chewing up ingredients is just part of cooking in the wild. It's the only way to make tomato sauce. You could spend an hour trying to cut up all the ingredients you need for a tasty dish, or you could quickly chew them up, or love them up as we like to say, and then spit them into the mix. Everything is cooked on the fire or in a steel cup like the one above. Even muffins. It's rather amazing.

Well, I'm here for a while. I'll try to blog on my time off, at least once a week. If you're not hearing from me, I'm in the woods, changing my heart for the better and inviting others to do the same. The Creator takes us to amazing places in this life.

7 comments:

Oceanchild said...

Wow. I think I could use a change of heart. Maybe I'll come out with you for a week and learn to make ash cakes. I don't think I could chew up tomatoes and spit them out. I think I'd just eat them.

Grifter said...

Nice. After Gillz was telling me about her experience the first time she was with Anasazi, you were one of the first people who I thought would thrive in such a program. I am glad that you are enjoying it so much and I wish I could be there.

Emily G said...

Ha ha, Price, it's great knowing I am not the only one in our blogging clan to know the great indefinable qualities that make up a week on the trail. I feel like just saying, "yeah! yeah! what HE said!" and ending my comment there.

I'm always up for a trip to Utah, so keep me in mind and I'll half you on the gas money.

Price said...

Joe, as far as I'm concerned, you belong here ever so much more than I.

Mily, you're always on my mind. ;)

Anonymous said...

I am glad to see you survived. Now you know how to make fire. Just remember you learned it first from your mother. Bear Gryllis is bound to kill someone, so you know who to come to for advice in the wild. You could have learned all this in Girl's Camp (gotten a badge) or Field Camp (gotten a degree). Glad you have found happiness. Be safe, call home, and remember we love you. Mom

Heidi said...

thanks for your post. A friend of mine posted on FB that she was so grossed out that she drank from a water bottle that was not her. The Horror! I had to tell her about Cow Tanks and Anasazi... how i would not let the young walkers volunteer to fill up my canteens and how it was not uncommon in the summer, when there was little water, to trudge through the mud fill up my canteens while filtering the big stuff through my bug net, dropping them with bleach and then throwing them over my shoulder to walk back to camp...and getting cow poop on my shirt from where i had set the canteen down by the tank. I know your post was from years ago, but I had to read for a while and reminisce. I worked for Anasazi the summer of 2000 and then the winter-summer of 2001. I thought it was just a few years ago...and now I am feeling old. Best job I ever got underpaid for! LOVED IT! Thankfully I lived with my aunt in Mesa...that is if I was not visiting friends in Flagstaff or backpacking on my weeks off. Young walkers thought I was crazy to backpack on my weeks off!
Well, 10 years later I have 3 kids (and i'm stalling as I try to pack up the family for our Disneyland trip!). I wish I could remember all the parenting stuff we learned in our training. I need to take some classes. I have a 4 year old that I need to be a better parent to.

Heidi said...

sorry...when i googled cow tank your post was the only one that has an image with the cow tanks that we drank from! that is how i fell upon your blog!