Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Love Hurts

I wanted to post some more photos of the Grand Teton experience and make mention of Joe Griffin. I'm pretty sure that there were times that Joe thought I had drug him up the mountain in order to weaken him and kill him. It wasn't true. For the record, I'm not sure Joseph Griffin is mortal. You can weaken him, but his will is unbreakable.

I took some of these pictures, some were taken by Joe, and others by willing parties at the summit.Joe's hairy toes gave their nails for him that day. Summers had minimal blistering compared to last year. My feet were a little tender on the bottom.


L to R this time: Hardass, Smirker, and lip biter. This view looks south toward the Middle Teton, and Mexico.


from right to left: A big smirk, Stone-cold determination, and some clown that escaped the circus.


One rather sketchy traverse.


You see the determination in his soul? And Table Rock in the background?


Once again, quite the mountain man. I think it's the beanie.
I think I look like quite the mountain man.


Summers and I nearing Wall Street. (how many wallstreets are there in the world?)


A little blurry, but I look skinny in that shirt.

4 comments:

Oceanchild said...

I feel bad for Joe and his sacrificial toe-nails, but the mtn. demands sacrifice.

That one pic....haha I laughed again when I saw it. You look so tiny.

Grifter said...

You are too kind, my friend. Everytime I am in the outdoors with you, I am amazed--astounded--by your energy and skill. You are world-class.

For the record: Jason and Jason would have shaved half a day off their ascent/descent time were it not for me.

And looking at the picture of our recovery traverse just puts ice in my spine. That was one of the best parts of the climb.

Emily G said...

Your sketchy spot made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I still hate heights. I'll do it if I have to, but I'll be spitting curses/prayers the whole way through.

I'm way jealous...it would be nice to know all the ways and wonders of climbing equipment. Instead, I spent the past two days sitting in dirt and making fire with sticks. So at least I have that to one-up you with.

Joe, your feet made me wince. Treat them kindly for a while. I'm still way jealous.

Joshua said...
This comment has been removed by the author.