Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Bah Humbug? To whom it may concern . . .


I've debated writing this blog simply because I suspect it will generate a decent amount of flame, and it's going to be a promise that is not so easy to keep. Hear me out:

This year, 2008, I will not be giving or receiving gifts of commercial/monetary value. That will be firmly enforced, kept, whatever. Please. I kindly ask anyone who feels obligated or whatever need you feel, read the blog. It is my sincere, sincere desire to do this one time. Those who wouldn't have gotten me anything anyway, Thanks. Also, I invite you to consider what I have to say. Before this gets any real attention(like anyone really cares), let me plead my case a little.

First, this is a cheap experiment if nothing else. I've had 28 Christmases so far in this life. I suspect I'll have a few more. If I do this one time and it sucks, there's no real loss. It's immaterial. It will be forgotten and drowned out by all the other jolly holiday seasons throughout the rest of my life.

Second, and I'm beginning to think most importantly, "Xmas" has gotten way too commercial. Thanks for the insight, Charlie Brown. While from an economic standpoint, we need to spend to strengthen the economy . . . well, this seems like an ideal year to just go ahead and let the economy tank. After it bottoms out, we can all buy stock and wait for the next bubble. Anyway, I think think that separation of church, state, and economy is a good idea. I don't condone Mormons warping their religion and "beliefs" in profit seeking activities. It's follow the Prophet. Seriously, those of you who own "Sons of Helaman/Momma's Boys shirts and Greg Olsen paintings . . . really? Your muscles aren't that big, and Jesus was never that airbrushed. I'll offer some alternatives for gift giving at the end of the post, perhaps some that are more in line with gold, frankincense, and myrrh . . . or the mortal birth of a God.

Lastly, money is an issue. I'm doing alright. I have sufficient for my needs. I have learned a lot regarding money in the most recent period of my life. More than I learned in four years of college, and another four working in the corporate world. No matter how cliche, money and "things" do not equal happiness. Stop kidding yourselves. Think about all the times in your life that you were truly happy. If images of boats, big houses, and fancy clothes come to mind, readjust your priorities. Repent. If, however, hard work, family, friends, health, and contentment come to mind, I would invite you to look into where that happiness really came from. Debt and extravagance more than anything stem from love of money. They are killers, and true evils in our society. Those who build their enormous mansions as close to the Temple as possible should consider the humble beginnings, the simple life, and the sacrifice of the Savior. I declare that you mock him more through your vanity than the thief or the liar.

“The worst fear that I have about this people is that they will get rich in this country, forget God and His people, wax fat, and kick themselves out of the Church and go to hell. This people will stand mobbing, robbing, poverty, and all manner of persecution, and be true. But my greatest fear for them is that they cannot stand wealth; and yet they have to be tried with riches, for they will become the richest people on this earth” (Brigham Young, reported in James S. Brown, Life of a Pioneer [1900], 122-23).

Wow, that was a tangent . . .

I think that my experiment will be a huge success. Instead of material gifts, let's give each other time. Let's educate each other and lift each other up. Let's feed each other.

Finally, my gift requests:

Dad - I'd like to hear some stories about Uncle Val. I'd really like for you to climb with me down in Little Cottonwood Canyon. The winter is a great time as long as the sun is out, so next time you're down here plan on it.

Mom - I'd like some of your delicious food. I would also like for us to pick up an old family tradition that's been forgotten over the years(How the Grinch stole Christmas, pulling people out of snowbanks with the suburban, whatever.) Hell, I'll go sing to the neighbors with you.

Sisters - Hmm . . . I guess I'm going to sound like Dad on this one, but I just want you to be happy. One specific time when drama or disaster comes into your life, I want you to take a step back and just say, "I'm not going to let this get me down, and I'm doing it for Jason."

Brian - I want you to submit a bid to build my friends' house. I'll see about getting you a copy of the plans. I need to hear from you more often. Maybe you should come climb too. I bet you'd be better than me in no time.

Friends - Just be my friends. I'm grateful for all you do for me. There is no way I could be out of debt, and having as much fun in my life right now if it weren't for very good friends.

Merry Christmas!

Have some pictures:

11 comments:

William Cobb said...

humbug? not even close. forsaking monetary gifts is the closest to christmas anybody can get. it's just more fun to think about christmas when you sit down and plan out what you're going to do for someone rather than what you're gonna buy them.

Grifter said...

Ash and I both empathize. We have been talking along these lines for a few months now, and not simply because of a sudden change in our income.

All I want is to get back to Idaho for Christmas, have some homemade shortbread, put on the dusty, warped, John Denver 'Rocky Mtn Christmas' vinyl that used to accompany our holiday, and see people I love.

Radical idea...?

Fine post, amigo.

Ashley said...

You're a good person.

thank you

Emily G said...

You're welcome. About me not planning on getting you a present, I mean. Just remember I never made anybody else a remembrance pouch ever.....that was maybe the finest trail thing I ever made. Not saying much. But still. I hope it is still helping you remember whatever it is you keep inside of it. Trail thoughts or whathaveyou. Whatever. Happy holidaze.

Oceanchild said...

Can't promise you I'll give you what you ask for, but you are welcome to play Superman with Landon as your gift to me.

Anonymous said...

I love you Price.

I've been doing this and requesting this same thing for years. It is the best gift ever, and it will likely become a tradition for you.

I'm not sure exactly how we've become so distant in the recent past... Beyond just physical distance. This year I offer you what I can and that is only my company, climbing, canyoneering, camping or just crashing and hope that you'll take me up on it.

Keep in touch.

New # 602.254.2880

tatum said...

you remind me of walt whitman for some reason, except in buff climber form i guess. i admire your selflessness. i'll be your friend!

Joshua said...

if on the off chance you change your mind i would like to submit my christmas list.

a red rider bb gun with a compass in the stock and a thing that tells time.


while i completely agree with the not receiving side of your plan - i can never shake the urge to give - both the gifts of time, love, peace - and the ones that take batteries, come wrapped in packages, and just plain old stuff... any opportunity to give (within the confines of a holiday or out) is all good to me.

thats my two bits.

P said...

Price:
your a good person.
don't lose that...

i say it all to often but i think this weekend looks good on the weather front. lets get outside. keep in mind i am terribly weak and out of shape, but i would still love to come belay on whatever you got going on.

Love.
PJ

Price said...

Thanks for the input, all. Your friendship is definitely a wonderful gift.

PJ, we must climb, but I must warn you: At your weakest, you'll still climb harder than my best(even wearing anti-gravity boots).

Gillz, you have a sassy attitude these days.

Josh, you'll shoot your eye out. Fa ra ra ra ra, ra ra ra ra.

Tyson, I'm sorry. Distance is always my bane.

Emily G said...

I'm just pleased I'm not the only one who thinks you are very Walt-Whitmany these days. Seriously, Leaves of Grass. Pick up a copy. Or at least "Song of Myself."

"I tramp a perpetual journey, (come listen all!)
My signs are a rain-proof coat, good shoes, and a staff cut from the woods,
No friend of mine takes his ease in my chair,
I have no chair, no church, no philosophy,
I lead no man to a dinner-table, library, exchange,
But each man and each woman of you I lead upon a knoll,
My left hand hooking you round the waist,
My right hand pointing to landscapes of continents and the public road.

Not I, not any one else can travel that road for you,
You must travel it for yourself."

Seriously. Read it and report back to me.