Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Trip Report - Middle Leprechaun Canyon

Okay, Time for a real blog.

I'm still having trouble getting up to speed with my typing, so bear with me. (ha ha, bear)

Dodge and Krissy and I, after a wonderful night of chatting and jimmer-jammering around the campfire, got up and finally got going around 9:45 am. I hadn't read over the beta for the canyon, but I figured I mostly knew where I was going and I only got us lost once on the way up. I would have gotten us lost on the way down, but there's only one way to go.

Here's Dodge and Krissy, and you can see the canyon that would be descended zig-zagging down the middle-right side of the frame.

They really had no idea what they were getting into at this point.

You see, Middle Lep is one of the narrowest slot canyons around. Krissy is tiny, and Dodge disappears when he turns sideways, but even so, they thought the canyon was awfully tight. This is the canyon that stole my wallet about a year ago. Read about that one here.

So in we went. Krissy rappelled the first drop, after that we put the rope away and it was just a lot of squeezing, stemming, and downclimbing. Dodge and Krissy were troopers and the canyon was really a walk in the park considering how difficult most people find that descent. Teeny-tiny and skinny really does help here.

I'll just skip to pictures now. No point in bringing up Leprechauns, unicorns, or desert fairies.

Well, She didn't make it down all the drops without help. Thanks Dodge.

The Sandstone is very fluid in parts of this canyon.

This is from a scene from Titanic or Alice in Wonderland, or something.

The end.

3 comments:

Grifter said...

i would have no chance in here.

warwick davis, I am not.

Oceanchild said...

Good thing you hang out with such small people. Ellie couldn't figure out how you got so tiny in that pic with Chrissy (last post).

We did that titanic/alice pic a lot in the caves we toured in Israel.

Emily G said...

Yeah, I'm jealous. Promise I get to come on an adventure like that someday with ya. Promise.