Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Feb 19, Two thousand whatever . . . .



I ease my '95 Isuzu trooper onto Baseline Road in third gear. I'm tired of shifting. It's just one more drop in the bucket of what's become an exhausting day. There are to-do lists that grow with every blink of an eye and I've spent more than I wanted to . . . again. Seems that the simple life is a pretty complicated goal for this mind. My head hurts just enough to annoy me, but the pain is bearable. My appetite has been gone for two days, ever since I bit my tongue. The little canker sore at the very tip makes me loath food and anything else that would upset his delicate little world. He thrashes and burns whenever something disturbs his slumber. He's definitely best left alone.

It always smells like cows as I drive down Recker. It's a wonder that anyone lives in a town like Gilbert, Arizona. It's a wonder that it's constantly expanding, or at least that the new houses haven't driven the dairy farms away. The houses are like mistletoe on an old oak tree. They'll soon suck all the available resources away, and the dairy farms will have to quit spreading their rank manure on the land. People won't stand for it on their lawns.

There are so many lights. Each one of them burns into my retinas like battery acid. There are so many lights. Even the reflectors that mark the lanes send the light from my corrosive headlights back into my mind, reminding me that I'm contributing to the horrible pollution that blocks out God's little decorations in the sky. Oh well, it's a full moon. At least that's visible. My old friend, my one-time answer to a prayer, my half-month salvation in the wilderness.

I hit next . . . wait a second . . . next, next, next. All the songs sound the same. Wait . . . what's that one? I don't recognize this. How in the world did that get on my Ipod? I like that song, but I need something new. Nothing is quite new enough, nothing that I've added recently. I should really be content with the old, the classic, and the faithful. Smashing Pumpkins seem to be making a strong stand against the new. Maybe the new just won't cut it. Maybe the talent ran out in the early 2000s.

Things are about to get good though. Things are going my way. Ha! There are a lot of stop signs in this neighborhood. The subdivision just south of this one doesn't have any. Do they have more wrecks? I doubt it. I'll justify it that way as I roll through one. I haven't seen the sheriff in the black SUV that patrols my streets in a little while. He's just waiting for me to roll through a stop. It's his evil scheme. There he sits, rubbing his fingers and hands together, up and down, like an evil witch on some old Disney cartoon. Nope, not tonight, but soon.

So now . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . home.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

something about your blog makes me sad, no maybe that is not the right word.......maybe i'll tell you when i figure it out.

Emily G said...

I don't know if I'd call it sad either. It's good things are going your way, though, I suppose....as vague as a statement like that is. I'm glad you wrote a new post before you went on the trail.

Well, wish you were here to watch Fs & Gs with me and then go throw rocks at the sky together when the rain clouds keep us from seeing the lunar eclipse..... Hm. Well, here's me sending you warm and dry kharma vibes until you get back. Hope you're having wild and crazy trail dreams about NASCAR in Vegas in the meantime.

Grifter said...

Was the starfish pic taken the day we cruised south on California 1 to Pescadero?

I would strangle to get that day back. It is hard to feel that cut loose from everything.

Oceanchild said...

Are you going to Nascar THIS weekend in Vegas? I couldn't remember? We'll be in CA so if you are still in Vegas on Monday, or if you get there early Friday we should chat at the In and Out Burger (a traditional stop).

I'm sorry you are so tired. Reading your post made me tired and made the florescent burn that is my cubicle even more unbearable. Come back soon. It's getting warmer and we are getting a shiney new lawn mower....:)

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't say sad, I would suggest "old man cynical". Geez, Jason, way to cynical;all the talent used up by 2000. Seems like perhaps a lack of mental inspiration has taken over and finding the new requires a bit too much personal resolve. Physical tiredness should never over whelm the joy of the day/night be it lost in the wilderness of the suburbs or the wilderness of the AZ desert. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if you pull that global warming trite out again I will ground you for life. Mom

Anonymous said...

By the way: The lunar eclipse was enthrallingly stellar and vastly visible from our house. The dogs and I enjoyed it while your dad charmed Pres. Eyering and gang and Karie cheered MJH basketball players. Love you always. Mom

Emily G said...

Argh, everybody gets to hang out with my old mission president but me. Or maybe your parents hung out with his dad, which I suppose is also enviable. Strike that "suppose," make it a "definitely, definitely." Well, at least they were in good company.

Hey let's go to Vegas! And I'll do all the gear-shifting and you can focus on keeping us listening to good songs from several decades. I'm going to clean myself up and try not to fall asleep. I'll also google any World's Largest Ball of Twine sights for our roadtrip pit stops. We both have cameras these days--I say we make the most of them.