Wednesday, January 16, 2008

If Joe can, I will

MiscellaniaFlagstaff, AZ

1. Pictures - I don't even know where my camera is. I've pretty much been on the trail for the last 3 months, and since I can't take a camera out there, I haven't really bothered finding the dang thing. I do miss taking pictures and posting about my adventures. I have started every sentence in this blog with the word "I".

2. Friends - You have not been forgotten. Upon receiving your voicemails and text messages, I have promptly felt guilt and yet not taken the time to call you back. Even as I type this, I wonder why I haven't called Jason Miller, Jeff Andrus, Joe Griffin, my little brother, the Gregories. Sorry guys. I'm feeling a little exhausted, but I'll call each of you before this short off-week is over.

3. WFR training - I'm a wilderness first responder, did you know? This means that if we're out in the woods, I can reduce your dislocated shoulders, fingers and elbows. You have to keep your head still until I perform a focused spinal assessment, so just don't move. Also, if I don't have any latex gloves with me, don't expect me to touch you, especially if you're bleeding profusely. It's rule #3.

Actually WFR training was really cool. Here are the crazy instructors, Shari and Pete.
These two are crazy. Why is the bold messed up on the blogger? WFR training is a lot more than class time. It's scenarios with fake blood and guts and amputated hands. It's real life hypothermia, and how to take care of it, so whoever thinks that Anasazi is out to kill kids, well, I know how take care of them.



This was one of my patients during the night rescue. It was about 20 degrees cold that night. This guy had to be carried out in a litter, and luckily survived to tell his tale of climbing the tree to escape a bear. I kept singing the Davey Crockett song to him, but I don't think he was amused. Having your guts poking out through your abdomen wall is never a pleasant experience. The worst I ever received during the training was a broken collar bone and sever asthma. Weak!


4. Anasazi - Greatest thing to ever happen to a lot of struggling families. Why? Well, kids do get cold. There's some danger of getting hurt. Hey, sometimes they're even angry about being sent out into the woods/desert. Anasazi gives families a chance to have a new beginning. It's no guarantee that everyone is going to have a perfect life. I'd guess that a lot of the kids that leave our program go back to what they were doing before. It's a chance, an opportunity. It's a place where seeds of greatness are uncovered and have an opportunity to grow. That's all. I met a young walker who was on the trail 13 years ago this week. He doesn't have a perfect relationship with his family. He doesn't always make the right choices. He even thinks that some of the stuff that Anasazi does is pretty ridiculous. That's what he told me anyway. Then he proceeded to tell me about all the good times that he had out on the trail. He told me about how Ezekiel's kids were really cool. He told me about his remembrance pouch and his gatherings bag. To say that Anasazi didn't have an impact on his life would be a bald faced lie. It's a good thing, and it's saved many more lives than it has endangered.

5. Summer - I don't think that I'll be staying at Anasazi any later than May. I'll need to make some money to pay off debts this summer. I'd like to go do some traveling. I'll be looking for a good job that doesn't involve the word "sales" and has a close proximity to the Salt Lake Valley. If you have something in mind for me, I'd be willing to come as soon as mid-April, so let me know.

6. Goals - Well, I'm not making goals to get married, get a real job, or even cut my hair this year. I just won't do it. I will however work on thinking about what I say, before I say it (or post it). I am trying to be completely honest, even when it means letting people know that they are right and I am wrong, or I am right and they are wrong. I'm not going to be critical of anyone, but I will judge righteously.

7. Tangible goals -
A. Get completely out of debt.
B. Climb the Grand Teton and go through the Darby Canyon Ice Caves at least once.
C. Take a backpacking trip in Central Idaho.
D. Go to Central America.
E. Feel the wind in my hair and the sun on my face.

8. Want list -
A. Spend time with my family.
B. Climb some rocks.
C. Spend time with old friends.
D. Gain some weight.
E. Listen to Cross-Eyed and Painless' new recording.
F. Peace and Love in the world.


Thanks to Pete and Tyler for the photographs.

5 comments:

Oceanchild said...

I hope you spend a lot more time with family and climb lots of rocks. We miss you 'round these parts...esp Landon. He's just getting used to the mtn man living at our house...he'll have to start fresh if you leave for too long.

Emily G said...

Well, if you find me with my intestines poking through my shirt on the trail and you start singing Davy Crockett at me, you can pretty much know now that I'm not going sing along, even though I know the lyrics better than you do.

If I find YOU dragging your own entrails behind you on the side of some hill, I think I'd probably choose a track a bit more sober....something like "Afternoon Delight"...or maybe I'll just wait until you fade away so I can eat you Uruguayan-soccer-team-style. It's about time I had some meat on the trail.

Grifter said...

Price:

I am getting ready for any possible outings this summer. I want in on any and all. I like that you and Summers are talking Sawtooths, because I have been thinking the same. We could start at Redfish Lake and hike back into Cramer and Hidden Lake, set up a base camp, and do some daily forays. I would be all over that. Absolutely. I think that we should also make a life goal to someday, time allowing, hike the entirety of the Pacific Crest Trail. Logistically it might be lofty, but I think we need to do it. Also, there is a peak that I have seen on the way to Leadore that we need to climb this summer. I forget the name, but I will research it and I think we could do it on a saturday.

Full plate, yeah, but necessary. This might be my last summer in SE Idaho for some time.

Lets start planning now.

Joe

Sprice said...

be careful of the yetties out there. you better come around more often because arbuckle wants to climb with you.

Anonymous said...

So ah...you a liken da onion? Nice to see things are going well for you. I liked the tuna rating. I should be in r-burg for the summer and hope to cook some sausage and steak, probably, more than ten times. No man can eat 50 eggs. Laters